William "Deacon" Haldane - 1856 ca.
This Windsor armchair, made of hickory, has a bow back and ten plain spindles, and those in the back run through from the seat to the top of the back rail. It has an elliptical seat, turned arm supports, and turned front legs with Pennsylvania-type feet; the back legs are plain and taper upward. There are turned stretchers between the front legs, plain stretchers between the front and back legs. Since few pieces of furniture were signed at the time the chair was made, tradition says that this chair was made by Haldane.
|Creator||William "Deacon" Haldane|
The measurements of the chair are: 33 ¾ in. high, 21 in. wide, 15 in. deep.
Museum evaluation notes: “This is a crude example of a Windsor chair when compared to others of its period. Its great value lies in the fact that it was produced by Grand Rapids' first cabinetmaker." One arm of the chair has been reinforced by a piece of metal. The stretchers between the front legs are worn and appear to have been turned to hide the worn part.
The chair was loaned to the Grand Rapids Public Museum by Mr. Dudley Waters; donated to the Museum by Mrs. Dudley Waters in 1968.
This image was reproduced with permission from the Grand Rapids Public Museum. Photographs may not be reused without permission and must credit the "Collections of the Grand Rapids Public Museum." For rights and reproduction information contact: Grand Rapids Public Museum, Collections Department, 272 Pearl Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504: Phone 616-929-1809.
|Institution||Grand Rapids Public Museum|
|Physical Storage Location||Grand Rapids Public Museum Archives|